Wednesday, January 28, 2004

French

"La France est une grande nation occidentale. La capitale de la France est Paris. La France est une republique. La France est membre des Nations unies. Elle joue un role important dans l'alliance atlantique."

And they call this language "foreign." Though I must say, some people need to learn to fake things better. Yesterday in class we went over articles and cognates. Our homework was to translate a bunch of them. And when we went over it in class, some people actually couldn't answer because they said they hadn't done the work. I mean, assuming you've picked up that the "l" stuff is definite and the "u" stuff indefinite, it shouldn't be hard to just guess a translation of "les ocean" or "la correction."

I should admit, however, that my mind continues to function oddly. An example under guessing unknown words from context read, "The planets revolve around une etiole called the Sun." "Naturally," though I, "'etiole' means 'object.'" Obviously, it meant star. I did the same thing in Arabic, where the book had these pictures next to Arabic words rather than just the English equivalent. I thought "bayt" (house) meant "laundry" for a couple of weeks. I mean, there was laundry hanging in front of it! All well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home