Sunday, March 16, 2008

More Palm Sunday

This morning I was disappointed that there were no palm fronds and no "Hosanna" at the service this morning. It's too bad I didn't know about this:
"Waving palm fronds, thousands of Christians from around the world celebrated Palm Sunday, walking the path they believe Jesus rode on his
donkey as he entered Jerusalem days before his crucifixion.

"The procession with the top Catholic cleric in the Holy Land, Patriarch Michel Sabbah, started at the Bethphage Church, where tradition says Jesus mounted the donkey. Participants walked up to the Mount of Olives, then down to the ancient stone walls of the Old City. Marching pilgrims strummed guitars, some of them wearing 'I love Jesus' shirts, as they braved unseasonable heat in an early Jerusalem springtime.

"Palm Sunday commemorates Jesus' followers shaking branches to greet him as he entered the holy city. The festivities mark the start of Holy Week when, according to the New Testament, Jesus was betrayed by Judas, crucified and then resurrected on Easter Sunday."

On the other hand, religious crowds in Jerusalem can include quite a few characters, so perhaps I am better off this way. I know it's a prejudice, but I tend to avoid people in "I love Jesus" T-shirts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home