Israeli policy allows settlers to tie things up in court forever
"Defense Minister Amir Peretz and Deputy Defense Minister Ephraim Sneh had previously said they expected the evacuation of the Hebron home to be completed by mid-May. The Hebron settlers began living in the disputed house on March 19, after several years of negotiating with the Palestinian owners.
"The settlers say they bought the house legally and signed a contract, but the Palestinians say otherwise.
"But despite the Defense Ministry's earlier optimistic prognosis, discussions held at the ministry this week revealed that the evacuation process is likely to be far more complicated than previously anticipated.
"Security officials told Haaretz on Tuesday that the settlers' hearing before an Israel Defense Forces appeals committee, at which they will protest the Civil Administration's decision that the settlers moved into the house illegally and must be evacuated, is likely to take a long time.
"Afterward, the settlers will apparently have the right to appeal the decision once again, this time to the High Court of Justice.
"The officials added that it is doubtful whether the evacuation will take place at all, given the reservations that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and other senior members of his Kadima Party have about the plan to remove the settlers from the house."
Labels: Israel, Palestine