Monday, August 09, 2004

Bush the Regular Guy

Near the end of an interesting post about his feelings for President Bush, Tim Young addresses an issue that has long frustrated me when arguing with Bush supporters:

"I've also heard a lot of people, mostly conservatives, claim that they'd affirmatively rather have a "ordinary man" in power. I happen to be of the view that just as I'd bristle at the thought that my surgeon didn't know any more about surgery than I or any ordinary person would, or that my mechanic wouldn't know any more about fixing cars than I or any ordinary person would, I wouldn't want someone in charge of government policy who neither knows nor cares to know about the workings of government than I do. Of course, a Bush supporter pushing this reason would have believe that Bush were 'just one of the guys,' which is a silly notion when one thinks about it at all. Regular guys aren't put on the boards of large corporations or given multiple companies to run into the ground."

Why this point is even controversial is beyond me. But then, I don't see Bush as a "straight shooter," either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home