Friday, April 23, 2004

Scabbing

So...

In order to get our Title VI-A grant, the Middle East Studies Program needs to submit some paperwork by April 28. As the only employee, it is my job to do this. If I don't, we don't get the grant, and have no money. And some of what I need to do requires administrative input which probably won't be forthcoming until Tuesday. Which means I'm likely to be stuck having to work during the strike. On a personal level I don't feel guilty about this - essentially defunding an entire program (that employs a grad student) probably doesn't fit the union's plans for minimal damage to the university. As I've noted before, since I work for the International Institute I'm not bound by the strike vote, though the history department is a hotbed of union activism. But it still feels really weird and awkward. Support for organized labor is one of the cornerstones for my view of American society. This is not a position in which I ever pictured myself.

UPDATE: Just got an e-mail from my union steward, and they have a procedure for people with a compelling need to cross lines. So I'm in the clear =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home