Friday, February 13, 2004

Productivity

It's sort of interesting how my busiest days are my least productive. In recent weeks I've been able to spent a lot of time just focusing on my dissertation, which frequently keeps me involved until late evening before I decide to put it down. In contrast, last semester I was always rushing to finish a fellowship application or some reading for Arabic, and it usually didn't seem worth it to read some random part of a book in the time I had between such other commitments.

Today, however, was a temporary return to last semester. I got up, went in to drop off at the copy center a poster for our lecture series made using this picture from Mahmood's Den, got a book I needed from the library, then had an hour before lunch and another hour before going to the dentist, after which I have perhaps another hour or so before dinner. I could have used this time to at least get started on something, but every time I crack open a book and find my train of thought, there seems to be some distraction. I think I can try now, though.

The good news is that I had only one cavity, despite taking too long between appointments and drinking too many sugar-containing beverages. I was a tad concerned going in. I am also amused that since I'm going back August 13, I'll have to consecutive appointments on Friday the 13th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home