Friday, October 03, 2003

Liberals' Grammar

Right now I have the TV on to a speech by John Kerry, who just said "every emergency rescue personnel" at the end of a list including "every fire fighter" and "every police officer." If I'm not mistaken, that is a grammar mistake. However, because Kerry is a liberal from New England, you will likely never here this gossiped about or reported anywhere as a discussion on whether he is smart enough to be President. (As if grammar has some direct bearing on economics or social and geopolitical issues)

Having reached the point where I have given 3 50-minute lectures a week to a class as a Ph.D. candidate in Islamic history, I can tell you grammatical construction often falls by the wayside. This is why I've never been a big fan of that line of attack against President Bush. As I hinted above, I strongly suspect that the media tends to go after conservatives for such things, anyway, following a sort of subtle "conservatives are dumb" meme. I don't think this comes from an overt ideological bias, but is rather just a box into which GOP politicians are far more likely to be stuck that Democrats, especially those who dare speak with a Texas rather than New England accent.

UPDATE: Be sure to check out Ed Cohn's reply in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home