Thursday, October 02, 2003

Saddam's WMD Bluff

With all the Valerie Plame coverage, I haven't seen much about this Washington Post story saying that investigators are working on the theory that Saddam Hussein wanted the world to believe he had WMD as a bluff to preserve his image of strength. I admit this has emerged in my mind as the most likely theory. I know it's possible to hide stuff in the desert or wherever, but even with all the scientists we've interviewed since the war ended, we haven't found a clue that these weapons actually existed. The article's suggestion that Saddam was scheming to restart his program after the end of sanctions makes a lot of sense to me, and was an important "even if" clause in my support for the war. If this is the case, I'd argue it partially exonerates the Bush administration from any intelligence lapses, and is certainly justification for the invasion for those of us who believe the economic sanctions to have been a crime against humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home