Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Return to Jerusalem

I'm now back in Jerusalem, albeit sooner than I expected. Jordan was cold and rainy and I'm getting a cold, so I decided to head on back, with plans to travel more in that country at some future time.

Bahrain and Ashura were fantastic, and I owe many thanks to all those who shared with me their warmth, food, and germs. Chief among these, of course, is Kamel Hubayl and the many friends and neighbors of his I met in Ras Rumman. I also greatly enjoyed meeting Mahmood al-Yousif, Abu Zainab Abd al-Hadi al-Khawaja, Abu Wafi "Wearer of the Gray Garment," and Wafi himself, whose sobriquet must unfortunately be shared with William Palin's character from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as well as the poet Ayman Zaid and many others whose names I never learned.

I'll have more on the experience soon, hopefully tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home