Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Summoned

Patriarch Irineos I has been summoned to Amman for questioning regarding his various scandals. I find Jordan's control over the patriarchate interesting. In my master's thesis and first conference paper, I looked at the relationship between the Coptic Church and the Ayyubid Sultante in the early 13th century, in which the Ayyubids had similar powers to what Jordan apparently enjoys here. These powers, however, were the same as those they enjoyed over Muslim religious institutions, and were almost always only exercised when Christians themselves brought a controversy to their attention. Which probably isn't relevant to the immediate issues in Jerusalem, but hey, it's not every day I get the chance to discuss my actual academic work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home