Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Barbers

Caleb comments on conversation in the barber shop:
"What I'm worried about is going through the complicated process of finding another barber who understands the fine balance between awkward silences and too much conversation. Most people think of the dentist's chair as the most uncomfortable place for small talk, but I've never been good at small talk in the barber's chair either. In my days of wilderness wandering from one neighborhood cuttery to the next, I could expect about once a month to cycle through the usual questions, beginning with 'What do you do?' and leading inevitably to 'So what are you planning to do with that?'"

It just so happens that I have a history of winding up with barbers who are outspoken Republicans. Depending on my mood, I usually let them do most of the talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home