Saturday, January 15, 2005

Storytelling

One of my friends has gotten me poking around this organization, which does sound like it could be fun. A problem has been that the standard activity lists tend to leave off the things I would find most interesting, straying close to stuff that would seem like work given what I spend all day doing as a professional historian. However, I was just struck by the notion of storytelling, an idea that has occurred to others. I think I could get a kick out of being something like a historically authentic version of the Thom Merrilin character from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, weaving my tales for the entertainment of all before twirling my way around the dance floor. Of course, it would take a lot of work.

I wonder, though - how do academic European medievalists regard the SCA? On the surface it seems harmless; however, scholars can be odd people who complain if the armor is wrong in a movie. There are probably several camps on this question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home