Sunday, August 01, 2004

300 Wins

I'm watching the Gerg Maddux go for his 300th win right now, and the announcers keep talking about the possibility that no one will ever reach that mark again, with the possible exception of Tom Glavine. This strikes me as really pessimistic. 300 wins requires a player to average in the high teens in wins for a fairly long career. This is certainly rarer than it was in the days when pitchers got 30 decisions a year, but it still happens. I think Mark Mulder could conceivably pull it off, as might Mark Prior or Javier Vazquez. If you look at Maddux's career, he did have a few years with very high numbers of total decisions, but I suspect that if if those are reduced a bit, he'd still make it to 300 - after all, he has another couple of years left in his career. So while I think it will be rarer, and longevity will become a larger factor, we will see 300 wins again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home