Friday, June 11, 2004

Reagan in Morocco

I haven't looked into the Moroccan reaction to Reagan's death because, to be honest, I didn't think there would be one. But today I talked to a middle-aged Moroccan man who said that yesterday thz Arabic newspaper he reads had a lot of Reagan coverage playing off the funeral. A key difference from what I've heard about the American reaction is that many Moroccans know him primarily as an actor, and his movies have enjoyed some popularity here. The man told me people were divided over Reagan as a President. In his opinion, Reagan deserves a lot of credit for the fall of the Soviet Union and a victory over dictatorship. He wouldn't talk about criticisms of Reagan today. Anyway, I'll try to grab a paper and see if I can find more, but since I have a rather busy weekend planned, no promises.

UPDATE: Here is the Al-Ahram Weekly obituary for President Reagan. I couldn't find anything on their Arabic site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home